The YMCA of Atchison, Kansas had its beginning in Atchison on April 11, 1872 in the upstairs of a building located at 526 Commercial. It provided for a meeting and reading room, with the highlight of each week being a Sunday afternoon worship service.
In 1913, the community recognizing the importance of the YMCA erected a new building at the corner of 4th and Commercial. The new building provided sleeping rooms, a gymnasium, swimming pool, bowling alley, cafeteria and reading room.
Another renovation to the building was completed on May 20, 1982. It provided for new offices, locker rooms, and an Olympic size swimming pool.
The YMCA in any community is an organization who’s sole purpose is the bringing together of its community for its overall enrichment. The Atchison YMCA is a Family “Y” serving women, girls, men and boys in a wide variety of programs and services.
The YMCA provides programs for youth that emphasize the fundamentals of developing self-esteem and confidence through the accomplishment of specific goals and respect for others. These programs include youth sports, swimming, and teen activities, all of which help build leadership and positive core values.